Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Capturing everyday life and sharing it on YouTube

When looking from a multimedia perspective, one could easily say we're living in an era of YouTube. I have to admit I was sort of a late adopter to YouTube. Back then I only used it when a friend sent me some funny home video and stuff like that. Today it's totally different. If you saw a cool TV ad, heard some nice song or found out that a trailer has been released for some interesting movie, it's YouTube you turn to for help. It's like the Wikipedia of multimedia.

All modern smartphones tend to have high-definition video recording capabilities, most of the "dumbphones" and point-and-shoot cameras also sport some sort of video recording these days. The possibility to capture quality video (and to take good photos) was one of the key requirements for me when I was switching from an iPhone 3G to something new.


Nokia's Lumia 800 hasn't let me down in the tasks I have bought it for. Sure the autofocus is a bit too eager when shooting video and there are some bugs when taking photos, but otherwise I'm loving the possibility to capture everyday moments, even if they come across unexpectedly. Let it be a brother's dog going mad about digging snow or capturing the full beauty of downtown Dubai area, it's there, stored on your mind and camera's memory.

Once you've captured stuff, YouTube makes it darn easy to share. I only had a few, many years old videos on my YouTube channel before getting the Lumia, but nowadays I upload videos there every now and then. It's thanks to the user-friendly interface plus the very easy but extremely useful edit tools, which I just recently discovered. My videos might not be of spectacular quality, but things like correcting color balance conveniently on YouTube is much appreciated.

Doing little editing and fixing on your videos is easy on YouTube.

Even if you wouldn't consider yourself to be the Steven Spielberg of mobile filming, you should still join YouTube. You can be there without trying to become an internet phenomena with millions of viewers, but just to share videos privately with your family for example. It's a really nice service. Thanks Google for keeping up YouTube!

You can check out some of my random videos on my YouTube channel.

4 comments:

  1. You described your Lumia and its very easy user-friendly interface that helps you upload to Youtube. I find it very interesting because I'm about to buy the Lumia and hope your experience carries over to the latest model--920.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya, and thanks for the comment! I could've been a bit more clear on the words here though, with user-friendly interface in this instance I meant the YouTube upload interface, because uploading existing videos directly from WP phone is not possible (there's a way to do that too, I've read, but never tried: http://www.windowsphonedaily.com/2012/08/quick-tip-how-to-upload-videos-to.html).

      The process I usually go through is: I download images and videos from my phone to my backup folder on Mac hard drive (with Windows Phone connector app). Then, if there is some nice video, I drag&drop them to the YouTube upload interface on a web browser. And then I'm basically done =)

      Sorry if my text was confusing! But the UI on Windows Phone is really fast and simple, I love that too! And when talking about videos and photos, Lumia 920 has such great improvements (and other niceties, like super sensitive screen) I am probably going to get it as well!

      Delete
  2. Thank you I'm testing various YouTube client apps now on the Lumia 900 before I get the 920. They're not as good as the YouTube app on Droids of course. I like your blog and will remain in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much done with testing the Lumia 900. One of the biggest things I am dissatisfied with is the Youtube app. It falls way short. 1) Droid's Youtube, better interface. 2) Search results from Droid's Youtube basically mirrors the ones from a desktop PC. 3) I record a lot of vids of the kids and uploading them to Youtube is so easy on my current Nexus phone. I've tried various Youtube clients on the Lumia and can’t do it. Even tried uploading directly through the mobile browser and still no. I truly don’t want to have to connect to a PC just to upload. I've been reading and think the 920 and Win8 will improve or solve this and many other personal concerns.

    ReplyDelete